Student Intervention Groups help your teams move more quickly from data toward action to meet your strategic goals. This tool supports school teams working to identify and change trajectories for students who need additional support.
Download this intervention group handout to share with your school leaders.
What Is a Student Intervention Group in Schoolzilla?
Simply put, a Student Intervention Group is a subset of students in Schoolzilla. With Student Intervention Groups, you can:
- Identify students in need of intervention
** Customize each group based on multiple metrics to get a list of students who need help.
** Catch struggling students who slide off track based on recommendations in Schoolzilla.
** Add or remove students when the data doesn't tell the whole story.
** Learn more about how to create a group (video).
- Monitor progress of each student
** Celebrate students who respond to your interventions, and
** Pinpoint areas for improvement for those who aren't yet
** See FAQs below for more detail on this feature.
- Synchronize your teams
** Keep meetings student-centric with a shared list at everyone’s fingertips. (No data-wrangling required!)
** Streamlined sharing and automatic refreshes save everyone time.
** Learn more about how to share groups.
Characteristics of a Student Intervention Group
A group is a list of students. Each group may have one, multiple or no criteria. Each student who is in the group will have a status if criteria are set, which:
- Flags how students in the group are doing compared to the criteria for the group (purple icons)
- Recommends new students who are not in the group but who meet all criteria (gray icons)
Note: If no criteria are set, Schoolzilla will not be able to recommend students or flag if a student is not meeting criteria. In addition, using a "Between" operator for the criteria will help provide upper and lower bounds for identifying students who are improving or sliding below the thresholds.
Other characteristics include:
- Name: This name must be unique.
- Description: Include a purpose, information on why criteria were used and recommended strategies or resources about specific interventions. This information can be viewed in List Settings.
- Share: Schoolzilla admins can share a group with others by role and by school.
- Number of students: This number will always show the total number of students who are currently in the group. It does not include recommended students. It also will not update to show you only the number of students you have access to, if the group has been shared with you. Use this number to make decisions about whether the tier size is appropriate given your student population, adjust criteria and determine resource needs.
- Created By: The person who created the group. To maintain data integrity, this is the only person who is able to share a group, add students or remove students from the group.
- Last Updated: The most recent date on which the group characteristics were updated or students were added or removed from the group.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I monitor the progress of each student in the group?
To do so, the group must have criteria associated with it. Select the group you'd like to monitor from My Lists, which will then show you the students in the group. You can then click on the purple triangle next to the "Group Status" column to sort and filter to show students with different status flags.
This walking icon shows students who do not meet at least one criterion.
You can then scan or filter the metric results in order to monitor how far above or below the thresholds these students are.
You can also click the student names to view more detail about each student's progress on the student profile. (Pro Tip: use right click or CTRL + Click to open the student name in a new browser tab. Then navigate back and forth between the list and the students using the browser tabs.)
I don't see any students who are not meeting the criteria.
There may be a few reasons why this is happening.
- Have you set criteria and clicked "Add criteria"? Schoolzilla will only be able to show this status if you have set criteria.
- Has enough time passed since you created this group? Some metrics update more frequently than others.
- Do the criteria have both upper and lower bounds or only bounds on one side? Using "between" in your criteria logic will help us to better identify whether a student is above or below a threshold.
Can I create a group with no criteria?
Yes. An example of why you might want to do this is to create a group for a sports team roster.
Can Schoolzilla limit recommended students to a particular school, demographic group (e.g., gender, grade level) or teacher using the filters on Our Students? Do school, teacher or demographic filters save with a group?
No. Schoolzilla does not use school or student characteristics to determine whether to recommend students to be added to the group. It only considers whether a student’s metric results do or do not meet the criteria. However, you can use the school, demographic or teacher filters to narrow the list of students shown on the page, and then only add students who meet those filters to the group.
Can school leaders or teachers share a group?
School leaders can share groups with:
- Anyone who has a Schoolzilla administrator role AND
- Anyone who has a school leader or teacher role that also has access to their schools.
Teachers cannot share groups with others at this time.
What are some example uses for Student Intervention Groups?
This article has some recommended uses in Schoolzilla and resources about MTSS, RtI, PBIS and other tiering or early warning strategies. Please share your own suggestions and questions as well!
What's the difference between a view and a student intervention group?
- A Student Intervention Group is a list, or subset, of students. Students who are members of this group will always display, even if they do not meet the group's metric criteria.
- A View is a set of saved filters. Because students are NOT members of the view, the list of students shown will dynamically change based on the filters you have set and saved.